Civil servants have been accused of leaving Norfolk taxpayers to pay for the demise of the Lynn incinerator deal.
The claim, made at a House of Commons Public Accounts Committee hearing yesterday, Wednesday, June 25, followed a recent National Audit Office report that showed Defra raised concerns two years before the contract was signed.
Permanent secretary Bronwyn Hill said she regretted that money had been wasted, but insisted it had been the council’s decision to proceed with the deal.
She pointed out that the Saddlebow scheme had met their criteria for the award of waste credits, until the scheme failed to meet the target time for achieving planning permission.
But committee chairman Margaret Hodge said officials had changed their mind over the grant, adding: “Norfolk taxpayers are picking up the bill for your change of mind.”