Elderly woman badly burned after clothes catch on fire at Snettisham home

Fire in Snettisham
Fire in Snettisham
0
Have your say

An elderly woman has been badly burned after her clothes caught fire at her home in Snettisham.

It happened in Park Close just after 8pm last night.

We quickly undertook first aid to treat the burns, ensure there was no further fire, and then wait for our colleagues from the ambulance service because of the potential severity of the injury

The woman, believed to be in her 80s, was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn.

District manager for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service Tim Edwards, who was at the scene, told the Lynn News: “When we arrived in Snettisham we found the smoke alarms were going off and when we made entry we found a lady in her front room.

“She had accidentally set fire to her clothing.

“We quickly undertook first aid to treat the burns, ensure there was no further fire, and then wait for our colleagues from the ambulance service because of the potential severity of the injury.

“Thankfully she had a smoke detector that was linked up to a call collecting agency.”

Mr Edwards added she had suffered “significant injuries” and said he believed it was an accident.

He said she was a smoker, and the incident concerned a lighter.

Fire crews from Heacham, Hunstanton and King’s Lynn North all attended the blaze.

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and extinguished the fire using hose reel jets.