An annual fireworks extravaganza which usually attracts up to 2,000 people will not be going ahead next month – but hopes are high the show will go on next year.
Organisers have made the “disappointing” decision to cancel the fireworks display in Fakenham, which was scheduled to take place at Fakenham Racecourse on November 8.
In recent years, the event has been put on by the Fakenham and District Chamber of Trade and Commerce, but due to a lack of active members the chamber is now dormant and unable to organise a display next month.
Attempts have been made to find a new group to take on the bonfire night spectacular, but organisers said their efforts have proved “fruitless”.
John Lingwood, vice-chairman of Fakenham and District Chamber of Trade and organiser of the firework display, said it was “very disappointing” to have had to cancel the event, but it was “inevitable” as attempts to find new organisers had so far failed.
He said: “Last year we said it was the last one we could organise and since then we haven’t been able to find anyone to take it on, but it’s not for a lack of trying.
“Hopefully it will go ahead next year as we’ve had a group come forward who are interested, but it’s too late for this year.”
Town mayor Jeremy Punchard said: “It’s disappointing, it’s a big event for the town, reasonably priced and an event which lots of families would go to.
“As usual with that kind of event, it is run by volunteers and if people aren’t prepared to get involved and help then things won’t happen.”