Fire follows flood at South Quay eaterie in King’s Lynn

Firefighters tackle a blaze in Marriott's Warehouse on Lynn's South Quay.
Firefighters tackle a blaze in Marriott's Warehouse on Lynn's South Quay.
Have your say

A popular Lynn restaurant and museum has been hit by a second disaster in two months after fire broke out yesterday.

Staff at Marriott’s Warehouse had to be evacuated yesterday morning when smoke and flames poured from a void between the walls. The problem is believed to be electrical.

Firefighters tackle a blaze in Marriott's Warehouse on Lynn's South Quay.

Firefighters tackle a blaze in Marriott's Warehouse on Lynn's South Quay.

The historic building, which was constructed in the 1580s, was closed for eight days in December after its cellar was flooded in the tidal surge.

The Grade II listed building will once again be closed for a short time while the latest round of repairs is undertaken.

But despite the run of bad luck joint owner Malcolm Catlin has vowed that the show will go on.

Mr Catlin, who runs the restaurant with Andrew Hornigold, said: “I am gutted and it is very upsetting. I am still committed to the restaurant. You just have to get on with it and if you believe in a project, you stick with things.

“The important thing is that everyone is OK.”

Up top 27 firefighters were called to the South Quay just after 11.15am.

The fire was found to be in the kitchen but smoke and flames spread to other parts of the building.

Firefighters on an aerial ladder were seen to take off roof tiles and crews also used thermal imaging cameras to check for hot spots after putting out the flames.

Firefighters from Lynn, Terrington St Clement, Sandringham and West Walton attended. Station manager Joe Warns, who is based at Lynn, said: “The fire was concealed in a void in the building. I had some concerns due to the timber frames.”

Owner Mr Catlin was not sure how long the restaurant would be closed for repairs.

He said: “The scale of the damage is reasonably limited. The fire brigade dealt with it very promptly.

“What appears to have happened is that the burning has started on a wooden beam which was encased by metal cladding in the kitchen. I don’t know the cause.”

Waitresses and kitchen staff reported hearing a bang and seeing smoke coming from the walls. No customers were in the building.

Waitress Ann Scholes said: “We have only just got over the floods and we don’t need anything else.

“The owners and everyone have worked so hard to re-open after the flood.”

Pastry chef Jack Wilson, 19, saw smoke coming from the brickwork close to a vent.

He said: “The power went out and smoke started to pour. It was scary. The head chef tried to use a fire extinguisher to put it out.”

The Tudor building is owned by West Norfolk Council but is run by Marriott’s Warehouse Trust.

The trust has a host of lectures planned for the coming months in the building’s upper floors along with performances.

The Marriott’s Warehouse restaurant opened in April almost seven months after the former Green Quay closed.

Firefighters tackle the flames at Marriott’s Warehouse. MLNF14PT01215

Firefighters are getting their orders before heading into the restaurant MLNF14PT01210

Crews in action at the back of Marriott’s Warehouse. MLNF14PT01216

Pastry chef Jack Wilson and waitress Ann Scholes in front of the restaurant. MLNF Marriott’s fire