Former Marham airman given six years in jail for firearms offences

editorial image

A former RAF serviceman who tried to make sub machine guns in his home and sell an arsenal of illegal weapons online has been jailed.

John Yelland, 28, who was serving at RAF Marham until his arrest last year, was sentenced to six years at Norwich Crown Court on Tuesday, having pleaded guilty to a total of eight charges.

His wife, Maimie, 25, was also jailed for six months, having previously admitted a single charge of transferring criminal property.

A search of the couple’s home in Windmill Road, Upper Marham, which was carried out by Norfolk and RAF police officers in June last year in response to intelligence received about them, uncovered a stash of illegal weapons and parts, including a deactivated Sten sub machine gun and stun guns.

They were seized along with drills, grinders and templates that were used to make some of the weapons, documents about the re-commissioning of firearms and their movement both in Britain and abroad and Yelland’s computers, which were subsequently analysed by the Metropolitan Police.

The court heard that Yelland had both made weapons in his home and used mail services to post parts to himself. His wife assisted in posting one of the weapons.

In total, Yelland admitted three charges of possessing a prohibited weapon, two counts of attempting to sell an illegal weapon, and single charges of possessing ammunition, attempting to possess an illegal weapon and attempting to manufacture an illegal weapon.

The charges related to weapons including machine guns, Tasers and their cartridges, a Taurus handgun, pepper spray and CS gas.

Supt Nick Davison, head of county police command for Norfolk Police, said after sentencing: “Yelland thought nothing of making and storing the weapons and it is pleasing to see this man behind bars with a lengthy custodial sentence.”

Yelland was also made the subject of a serious crime prevention order, which police believe is the first of its kind in the county.

The order will restrict his access to electronic communications and the internet upon his release from jail.