An online petition has been launched demanding a public inquiry into controversial plans for a link road and hundreds of new homes in North Lynn and Gaywood.
The petition against the proposed development in the Lynnsport and Marsh Lane areas has been set up via the 38 Degrees campaigning website.
More than 770 people have so far backed the call for a government planning inspector to determine the fate of the scheme since the petition was launched on Monday.
But council officials have described the protest as “premature”.
They have also confirmed that a planning decision on the road could be made by the end of this month.
The petition, which is addressed to the communities secretary Eric Pickles, calls for a public inquiry to take place to examine the merits of the entire road and housing project.
It sets out a string of concerns about the scheme, including environmental impact, flood risk, loss of green space, the provision of local infrastructure and consultation which campaigners claim was inadequate.
The page continues: “Lynnsport is a local park that is actively used by local people of all ages on a daily basis for free play and various leisure activities, in a tranquil and safe environment, free from cars and pollution, and is very dear to the hearts of the public.
“The value to the residents of all ages for health and wellbeing is immeasurable.
“The public who have used the park for over 20 years are shocked and dismayed that the council are proposing to build on Lynnsport.”
A West Norfolk Council spokesman said yesterday: “We are aware of the 38 Degrees petition requesting the Secretary of State to call in the proposed development on Lynnsport.
“We feel that petition is premature as no housing applications have been submitted.”
However, the spokesman did confirm that the planning application for the link road from Edward Benefer Way to Lynnsport, which is seen as a key access route for the housing developments, is scheduled to go before the borough council’s planning committee on Monday, March 30.
The move also comes just days after campaigners unveiled an alternative vision for development of the area, which they claim could benefit surrounding communities if the pace of the current development is reduced.
However, council officials said the ideas would have no bearing on the current project.
An engagement forum set up by the authority to enable residents to have their say on the scheme as it develops is also due to meet for the first time on Tuesday.
The council spokesman added: “The Borough Council is looking forward to a constructive and no doubt challenging dialogue with all the interested parties which we hope will help us to enhance the scheme to the benefit of all.”