A family has been left homeless after a fire spread through the house causing an explosion - believed to be caused by a cigarette lighter being refuelled.
A man, his wife and three children, who were in the house at the time, were treated at hospital for inhaling smoke.
Fire crews says the fire that happened at around 1.40am on Saturday, spread rapidly as the house’s gas supply was affected.
Tony White, from Norfolk Fire Service said the man was refilling his gas lighter at his home in Winston Churchill Drive, on the Fairstead estate, Lynn, it somehow caught light setting the kitchen on fire.
He said: “The fire compromised the gas supply to the house and that contributed to the rapid spread of the fire.
“We were told there was a small explosion, which we assume was the gas canister being used to refuel the lighter.
“The crew did a fantastic job of keeping the fire in just one property.”
“The is no question this could have very quickly spread to the adjoining properties if we hadn’t taken immediate action.”
Three fire engines attended the blaze and neighbours either side of the property had to be evacuated.