King’s Lynn fire chief issues safety plea after recent spate of blazes

No Caption ABCDE PPP-150414-130711001
No Caption ABCDE PPP-150414-130711001
0
Have your say

Fire service chiefs have pleaded with residents to help themselves stay safe following a recent spate of house blazes in the Lynn area.

Officials say eight casualties were taken to hospital from just three blazes within a 10 day period earlier this month where there was no smoke alarm or no working detector in the property. One of them later died.

Two other people were also taken to hospital following a house fire in Tilney St Lawrence, which broke out during the early hours of last Friday morning.

Now, in response to the current trend, fire service bosses in Lynn have urged householders to make sure they know how to flee their homes in the event of a fire.

Neil Richardson, manager of the Lynn north station, off Kilham’s Way, admitted the figures were “really unusual” and the brigade was unsure what was causing the latest peak.

He said: “We don’t know whether it’s just a spike.

“We want people to be safe in their homes. If they do have a fire, we want them to be able to get out safely.”

Mr Richardson said that, in one recent example, a resident had been forced to go back into the heart of their property after they were unable to find their keys in order to escape during a blaze.

He said householders, particularly those with young children, should practice how they would escape in the event of a blaze, in the same way that fire drills take place in schools and workplaces.

The brigade already works with schools across the county to get the fire safety message over to children.

And Mr Richardson also urged property owners, regardless of their background or means, to contact the service to arrange a free home fire safety visit.

He added: “We try our hardest to get to all ages, all groups. It’s really important that we get the message across.”

Residents can phone the Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service on 01603 810351 to find out more and book a home fire safety visit.