DCSIMG

BREAKING NEWS - King’s Lynn hospital ward shut after bug outbreak

Breaking news from the Lynn News, lynnnews.co.uk, @lynnnewscitizen on Twitter

Breaking news from the Lynn News, lynnnews.co.uk, @lynnnewscitizen on Twitter

One ward at Lynn’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital has been closed and another partially closed following an outbreak of diarrhoea and vomiting, officials have announced today, Friday March 7.

The Oxborough ward was closed to new admissions and transfers yesterday, after cases of norovirus, also known as the winter vomiting bug, were confirmed.

Part of the West Raynham ward was also shut overnight after patients there showed similar symptoms.

A hospital spokesman told the Lynn News a short time ago that eight norovirus cases had been confirmed, with one other patient showing symptoms.

And tight restrictions on visitors, including a ban on under-12s going onto the wards, are being enforced in a bid to contain the outbreak.

Only two people will be allowed at a patient’s bedside at any time and visitors will also have to wash their hands before entering or leaving a ward.

Andrew Stenton, the hospital’s interim chief operating officer, said: “We do not like to impose restrictions on visitors but we hope they will understand that we need to prevent the spread of seasonal viruses and to keep other patients safe.

“The position is constantly under review and wards will be re-opened once they have cleared the quarantine period.

“While diarrhoea and vomiting remains widespread in the community we would ask that anyone who is currently affected or who has been in close contact with those who have, should postpone visiting the hospital until they have been clear of symptoms for at least 48 hours.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page