DCSIMG

King’s Lynn: Incinerator fight goes national

CAMPAIGNERS fighting against the Lynn incinerator project say their campaign has become one of the key battlegrounds in a nationwide battle against the technology.

The claim was made after the decision of West Norfolk Council to seek a judicial review of a government decision to press ahead with an award of waste infrastructure credits to the Saddlebow scheme was highlighted in the Times this week.

The paper reported that as many as 80 similar plants are being planned around the country.

Leading anti-incinerator campaigner Mike Knights said he believed the borough council’s decision to take legal action against Defra, first reported in the Lynn News last Friday, was crucial both to continuing the West Norfolk campaign and helping to publicise the wider fight against incineration.

He said factors including last year’s referendum and the contrast between the government’s localism policy and the push to give the plant the go-ahead made Lynn a unique case.

He said: “I think the Lynn case is likely to be a defining moment as there are certain things which set Lynn apart.”

He believes the case will also be one of the first key tests of new planning rules introduced by the government, which critics fear will make it easier for major developments to go ahead.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page