The decision to prosecute the operator of Lynn’s pedestrian ferry is in the public interest, a court has heard today, Thursday, March 20.
A review hearing on the case against Steve Kingston has been held at Lynn magistrates court this morning and a further review will now take place next month to decide whether the matter should finally come to trial.
Mr Kingston, 62, of Bankside, West Lynn, has already pleaded not guilty to a charge of obstructing or resisting police officers on December 5 last year, the night that West Norfolk’s coast was battered by a major tidal surge.
His solicitor, Ian Graham, submitted a written argument against the decision to prosecute to the court at today’s hearing.
But Giles Beaumount, prosecuting, said the decision to continue with the case had been made because of the evidence gathered against Mr Kingston and as it was felt to be in the public interest.
He said: “The case has been looked at on a number of occasions already, so it’s not as if it hasn’t been reviewed.”
A further hearing will now take place on April 17 to decide whether the case should proceed.
A provisional trial date has already been set for May 28.