A service took place at the Narborough aerodrome memorial to commemorate both the establishment of the airfield at and the outbreak of the First World War 100 years ago.
The aerodrome at Narborough was the first to be established in the UK following the declaration of war, specifically set up to counter the threat from German Zeppelins, which were quickly in action raiding the east coast, with King’s Lynn being one of the early towns to be attacked.
What is now RAF Marham, was only established as an airfield in 1916 as a satellite base to Narborough.
Both airfields were closed at the end of the war with just Marham being reopened as an RAF station during the rearmament, which took place before the start of the Second World War in 1939.
The service, which commenced with a flypast by a Tornado aircraft from nearby RAF Marham, was led by the Revd Canon Allan Viller, vicar of Narborough. This was followed by the unveiling of a plaque by Peter Wilkinson, the chairman of Narborough Parish Council, containing the names of all those who lost their lives operating from the base during the Great War.
The names of each of those who lost their lives were then read out, after which a wreath was laid at the memorial by Flt Lt Gary Walker, representing RAF Marham.
Following the two minutes’ silence, a group of children from both RAF Marham and Narborough, one representing each year of the war, scattered poppy seeds around the memorial, in symbolic memory of all those who laid down their lives during the fierce fighting for which the conflict is so renown.