Naturists are celebrating the lifting of a ban which stopped them from stripping off on Holkham beach.
The Crown Estate closed the naturist area of the beach in July following complaints about sexual offences committed in the area.
A spokesman for British Naturism said they had received a letter from the Crown Estate on September 25 to say the ban had been lifted with immediate effect, just minutes before the organisation was going to sign a contract with a solicitor to begin judicial review proceedings.
Naturism is now permitted on the beach below mean high water but the ban by Holkham Estate which owns the dunes and the beach above mean high water, remains in force. Malcolm Boura, campaigns director at British Naturism, said: “It’s a major step in the right direction and I am pleased with that.
“There is still a lot of work left to be done and we are meeting with the Crown Estate and landowners later this month and discussing how best to sort out the real problems.”
David Horton-Fawkes, estates director at the Holkham Estate said: “We are aware that the Crown Estate has reversed its decision about nudism on the beach following the threat of judicial review by a small group of naturists.
“Until now the ban on nudism had stopped the illegal activity that has plagued the beach.
“We can only hope that this decision does not re-open the door to those who have ruined this part of the Nature Reserve for the vast majority of beach users.”