A new pictorial book looking at the history of the railway in West Norfolk has been published and will bring back many memories.
King’s Lynn to Hunstanton, including the Heacham to Wells branch, by Richard Adderson and Graham Kenworthy, is packed with photographs dating from the early years of the 20th century until May 3, 1969 – the day the line was closed.
In its 96 pages there are 120 photographs, most unpublished before.
Built in the 1860s, the line of 15 miles had numerous owners of the year, including the Lynn & Hunstanton Railway (1861-74), Hunstanton & West Norfolk Railway (1874-90) and then the Great Eastern Railway, later the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER).
It became part of British Railways in January 1948 and at first escaped closure under the Beeching report of 1963, although freight traffic ceased in 1964.
It was converted to “basic” status with single-line working, conductor guards and automated level crossings but it was closed for good anyway.
The docks railway, featured in the book however, continued until 1993.
The sister line of Heacham to Wells began in 1866, with passenger services being run until June, 1952. It suffered disastrous damage in the deadly floods of 1953 which then closed the Wells to Holkham section of the line for good.
The book also features pictures showing the damage wrought by the terrible and deadly floods of January 1953.
King’s Lynn to Hunstanton is printed by Middleton Press under the Country Railway Routes imprint.
It is printed in hardback and priced £17.95. Please check for local stockists by calling 01730 813169.