Additional patrols may be introduced on West Norfolk’s roads if the borough is found to have more positive drink-driving tests than other parts of the county.
The warning came as police revealed 50 drivers across the county were either found to be behind the wheel while over the limit, or had not provided a sample for analysis, during last month’s crackdown.
The figure equates to just over two per cent of almost 2,200 drivers who were tested on the county’s roads during the month of June.
But Chf Insp Chris Spinks, head of roads policing for Norfolk and Suffolk, said: “I still find it hard to believe that people are prepared to risk their lives and those of others by getting behind the wheel after drinking alcohol. Put simply – they are dicing with death.
“Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs impairs your judgement, makes your reactions slower and increases the chances of being involved in a collision.
“We target motorists all year round but this campaign allows us to focus attention on drink drivers, enforcing the law and educating motorists.”
Although no specific figures have been released for the number of positive tests in West Norfolk, Mr Spinks said the statistics would be analysed over the coming weeks.
He added: “We will look at those areas where there has been a spike of positive results and we will target those areas.”
The results of the campaign, which was timed to conicide with the early stages of the football World Cup in Brazil, were released just days after the dangers of drink-driving were highlighted by the case of 30-year-old Erika Krauzaite, from Swaffham.
She was given a four-year driving ban when she appeared in court in Lynn last Tuesday, after being found more than three times over the limit with her two-year-old son in the car.
Mr Spinks said: “The lucky thing is she didn’t kill anyone, herself or her child which, with that amount of alcohol in your system, is a real risk. Hopefully that will correct her behaviour in the future.”