Property owners who oppose the registering of a footpath as a public right of way only want to protect their privacy, a public inquiry has heard.
The claim was made in closing statements to the Snettisham beach hearing on Tuesday.
Nigel Farthing, representing residents against the application to list the route, said many owners of properties within the beach community had sought to maintain their privacy over the years.
He said: “In so doing, they do not seek to prevent others being able to walk along the beach and enjoy the area, but only to ensure that the privacy of their property is respected.”
The inquiry was told that signs seeking to prevent the path being used as a right of way had been put up on several occasions, some dating back to the early 1960s.
And Mr Farthing said a 1956 inquiry rejected a similar claim for a public footpath, adding that it would be “unjustified” to review the ruling.
But John Trevelyan, for Snettisham Parish Council, argued signs erected in the area before 1999 did not meet the necessary legal criteria to block the registration.
He also pointed to the evidence of a number of current and former owners of properties at the beach, of whom he said: “They are all people who consider that their use, and the use they have seen other people make, of the route has been as a public right of way.”
A ruling is expected within the next month.