DCSIMG

SEE VIDEO: Demolition work underway at Fakenham fire site and contractors will be there for weeks yet

Work underway to demolish the remains of the historic building in Fakenham town centre which was destroyed by fire recently. ANL-141106-181709009

Work underway to demolish the remains of the historic building in Fakenham town centre which was destroyed by fire recently. ANL-141106-181709009

Well over a century of history is gradually disappearing from the skyline of Fakenham as work to demolish the buildings destroyed in last month’s huge fire continues.

Building experts say the work to pull down what remains of The Original Factory Shop building in Upper Market will continue for several weeks because of the instability of the building following the May 25 blaze.

Rob Eastaff, operations manager of the Attleborough-based Anglian Demolitions and Asbestos, which is carrying out the work for the owners of the affected sites, said yesterday: “We’re progressing OK.

“The facade is unstable and safety is paramount. We’re looking at least three more weeks on site.”

Mr Eastaff said the work to remove the highest parts of the buildings was being carried out at a slow pace in order to minimise the risk to workers and nearby buildings.

He added: “Some people may expect the old wrecking ball, but it’s too close.

“We’re trying to do things as fast as we can and once it’s at a safe level we can progress faster.”

It is hoped that some nearby traders who have not yet been able to return to their premises, such as the HSBC bank, will be able to move back in before the demolition work is completed.

As previously reported, HSBC customers are being allowed to bank at the town’s Barclays branch as a temporary measure until their bank re-opens.

However, Mr Eastaff said it was likely that repair works would be needed at HSBC before it can serve customers again.

The investigation into the cause of the fire is still continuing.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page