Council chiefs have apologised after residents complained about the effects of ash and soot from bonfires lit on the site of a potential future housing development in Gaywood.
Contractors have been clearing rubbish and debris from the site off Marsh Lane, where officials hope to start building work next year, this week.
But West Norfolk Council has given out car wash vouchers to nearby residents after receiving complaints from nearby householders that ash and soot had fallen on their vehicles.
One resident of the Grange Estate, who declined to be named, told the Lynn News that the fires had been burning for three days without action being taken.
But Alistair Beales, the council’s cabinet member for regeneration, said the bonfires had only been burning on Monday.
Further material was cleared from the site on Tuesday and around 20 per cent of it has still to be cleared.
Mr Beales insisted there would be no more burning of material at the site and said the work had been necessary to clear a “huge” amount of rubbish on the 12 acre site.
On the disruption to nearby residents, he said: “I can only apologise for that.”