More than 50 new homes are being proposed in two separate housing schemes for a West Norfolk village at the centre of a legal fight over planning rules.
Earlier this year, West Norfolk Council lost its legal challenge against a government planning inspector’s decision to approve proposals for 40 new homes on the old Fosters sports ground in Clenchwarton.
The ruling sparked fears developers would rush to bring forward plans for what would normally be deemed unsuitable sites.
Now, following that decision, initial proposals to build homes on two other sites in the village have been submitted to borough planners.
Thirty-five homes have been proposed for land at Kenfield Farm on Main Road.
Documents submitted as part of that scheme said: “This application is submitted for planning permission as a result of two recent important planning decisions, one by the Government to encourage planning authorities to approve brownfield sites and the other a local problem that the LPA has been found deficient in their five year housing land supply.”
The second part relates to the Fosters ruling, which was delivered .
Meanwhile, around 20 more homes are envisaged for another site on Main Road, at the rear of Heritage House.
Both applications were considered by parish councillors at their monthly meeting last Thursday.
During the meeting, clerk Joan Hodkinson said the latest applications were a direct result of the ruling on the Fosters site.
She said: “People are starting to put their plans in now.”
The council supported the Heritage House proposals, in line with its position on a previous application for the land.
But it opposed the Kenfield Farm application, arguing that it was outside the defined development limit of the village.
Meanwhile, borough council officials say they have yet to decide whether to appeal against the Fosters site ruling, as they have only just received the full written judgement.
A spokesman said: “We need to go through it carefully and seek legal advice before we decide what to do next.”