The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh paid a visit to the Trinity Hospital in Castle Rising at the end of January to mark its 400th anniversary.
The chairman of the trustees, Lord Howard of Rising was also in attendance and it was his ancestor, Henry Howard, Earl of Northampton who founded the almshouses in 1614 with a bequest in his will.
Work began on the almshouses in 1615 and they have been occupied ever since.
The Trust was established originally to provide accommodation and support for 12 needy single women of the parish of Castle Rising and latterly expanded to the surrounding parishes, including Sandringham and West Newton but following a recent conversion now provides one bedroom apartments for six ladies in need.
The Queen and Prince Philip were attended by the Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk Richard Jewson, High Sheriff Lady Mary Dannatt, Mayor and Mayoress of Lynn Barry and Christine Ayres, the Rt Revd Jonathan Meyrick, Bishop of Lynn, the chairman of the Almshouse Association Blair Gulland and the chief executive Anthony De Ritter.
The clerk gave The Queen a brief history of the trust and almshouses in the UK and she and the Duke were shown one of the apartments and signed the visitors’ book, following in the footsteps of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother and Her Majesty Queen Mary, The Queen’s grandmother.