Questions over King’s Lynn homes scheme report

Planning news.

Planning news.

1
Have your say

Council chiefs have defended their handling of consultations on a controversial housing development after a key document was only published days before the comment deadline.

Plans to develop an area of land known as Lynnsport 3, as part of a wider housing scheme for the area, were submitted to planners in January.

But campaigners against the scheme have questioned why an open space assessment connected to the latest application was only published a few days before the deadline for public comments expired.

During public questions at last Thursday’s West Norfolk Council meeting, Sue Bruce, secretary of the Lynnsport Area Residents’ Association (LARA), said: “If this is necessary surely it should have been part of the application.”

She also highlighted that the land had been bought in the 1950s for the purpose of allotments and questioned whether development was appropriate at all.

But deputy leader Alistair Beales insisted there was no intention of building on allotment land or open space on the site as part of the application.

He said: “It was made clear deve was intended and all documents that should be displayed have been displayed.

“I’ve made sure this process is as transparent as it can be and I will continue to do so.

Meanwhile, officials have pledged to look into claims that members of the public were unable to submit comments on planning applications for a time last week.

Labour’s Gary McGuinness said he had been made aware of the issue through comments made on social media.

Development portfolio holder Richard Blunt said: “I’m not aware of it but I will look into it.”