Council chiefs have vowed to catch and act against those responsible for dumping rubbish in parts of North Lynn and creating “unacceptable” conditions for some residents.
The warning came amid continuing concerns about the piling up of waste in alleyways between people’s homes in the North End area.
During Thursday’s council meeting, North Lynn representative Andy Tyler said he had been contacted by a number of concerned residents about the issue.
And he sought assurances that as much as possible would be done to tackle the problem.
Ahead of the meeting, Brian Long, the authority’s cabinet member for environment, reported that a trial of larger wheelie bins and fortnightly collections, which the authority set up last year, had proved ineffective at tackling the problem.
And he revealed the council is now looking at the possibility of issuing designation orders for the alleys, which would formally ban the dumping of waste in them.
However, officials yesterday said they would initially be raising their presence in the area to look for people’s names and addresses within the dumped material.
Anyone whose details are found will be spoken to with further action taken against persistent offenders.
Mr Long told the meeting: “We’ll use every avenue at our disposal. In the most part it is the folk living there who are putting stuff out. A lot of the stuff there had been there for some time.
“The softly softly approach has got to stop and we’ll look for the people who are doing this.”
He added: “One of the alleys is gated and even that had waste in it so you can’t say it’s waste coming from outside.”
But Labour group leader John Collop questioned whether the problem could realistically be resolved.
He said: “I have been there sometimes and I couldn’t myself see an answer to this problem. Historically people put stuff out the back. There’s an alley down George Street with a shop on the corner and there’s bags all over the place.
“I know you’re trying to get them put down the front but cars are parked there most of the time. It’s not easy.”
But Mr Long insisted that, if necessary, £75 fixed penalty notices would be issued to those found to be offending in the area.
He said: “There are other methods that can be tried and will be tried.
“Enforcement is a last resort but the conditions that some residents are creating for their neighbours in that part of North End are not acceptable.”
The debate followed similar discussion at last month’s meeting about an upsurge of fly-tipping in the nearby Bawsey drain.
Mr Tyler acknowledged the situation had improved since then, but said it was still “far from ideal”.
Mr Long said officials from the local internal drainage board, which monitor the drain, had assured him their maintenance programme had not changed.
But he added: “That doesn’t mean people aren’t throwing stuff in there.
“That is a great concern to me because I don’t want to see anyone’s home flooded because someone’s thrown in a mattress, or a television or a shopping trolley.”