SEE VIDEO: Minister praises revamp of King’s Lynn housing estate as residents return home

0
Have your say

The first phase of a £30 million re-development of a Lynn housing estate has been officially opened today, Friday, November 7.

Housing minister Brandon Lewis unveiled the new Millfleet Court in Hillington Square at a ceremony this afternoon, before residents marked the completion of the block at a community celebration and firework display.

Lynn News Web Site Fillers

Lynn News Web Site Fillers

Mr Lewis congratulated everyone involved in the project and described the finished facility as “absolutely superb.”

The ceremony is the latest milestone in the project to transform the estate, which began in 2010.

Designer Wayne Hemingway, who with his wife Gerardine has worked on the project with Freebridge Community Housing, recalled being told they were “idiots” for suggesting the site could be revamped when they first arrived in the town.

But he said people were now inquiring about buying flats on the site instead.

He said of the opening: “It’s another step along the road. It’s great to see.”

And North West Norfolk MP Henry Bellingham said he now accepted he had been wrong to call for the estate to be demolished.

He said the opening was “a great day” for the town, adding: “Freebridge and their partners have done King’s Lynn proud.”

Freebridge chief executive Tony Hall described the opening as “momentous”, adding: “I’m very proud of what we’ve achieved so far and I want to be just as proud when we get to the end of the project.”

Work on phase two is expected to begin soon.