Talks to take place over Sedgeford phone mast cash

Youngsters from a West Norfolk village may benefit from the proceeds of a controversial phone mast development.

Community leaders in Sedgeford are set to hold talks in the new year to determine how the proceeds of the scheme, which was given planning permission last month, will be used.

And one suggestion is that the money could be used to provide bursaries for local school pupils.

Planning permission was granted for the development on the village’s playing field in Jarvie Close in October, despite fierce opposition from some local residents.

Critics claimed the mast, which will stand nearly 60 feet high, is in an inappropriate location and raised concerns over the potential impact on residents’ health.

However, supporters, which included the parish council, insisted the installation is essential to improve mobile phone and internet connections to a village that is a known signal “not-spot.”

During their monthly meeting on Wednesday, parish councillors were told that around £3,500 a year is likely to be available for community projects from the proceeds of the project.

And parish clerk John Ward suggested that at least some of the money should be used as bursaries for local children to buy equipment for their studies.

But Henry Head, who chaired the meeting in the absence of acting chairman Sue Crump, said the decision on what to do with the money was not theirs alone.

He said: “The parish council has a contract because it owns the land.

“The village hall has a contract because it runs the playing field.”

He said the parish council and the village hall committee needed to determine how the money would be divided between the two groups.

It was also suggested that local charity officials could be asked to administer the cash.