Tragic deaths of mother and son at Crimplesham were avoidable

Court news from the Lynn News,, @lynnnewscitizen on Twitter
Court news from the Lynn News,, @lynnnewscitizen on Twitter
Have your say

A young mum and her baby son died when the car they were passengers in hit a tree at Crimplesham, an inquest heard yesterday.

Ionela Cercel, 20, and her son Yanis, 14 months, from Romania, were visiting the UK in September 2012.

They were staying in Whittington with Miss Cercel’s partner Marian Parvu, who was the father of the child.

Senior coroner Jacqueline Lake heard that on September 23, 2012 Yanis was unwell and had been admitted to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Lynn.

Nicoleta Gaura, Miss Cercel’s stepsister, said that Mr Parvu had returned from the hospital and had shared a bottle of Jack Daniels with a friend.

At around 5am he decided to return to the hospital where witnesses said he was abusive to staff.

An off duty police officer who saw the family on Rudham ward said Mr Parvu insisted on taking the child home.

At around 7.20am driver Christopher Hubbard was following the family’s BMW along the A134 when he noticed it hit the kerb and swerve several times.

In a statement read to the coroner Mr Hubbard said as they approached Crimplesham the BMW swerved and travelled sideways across the road before hitting a tree.

Miss Cercel was pronounced dead a the scene and Yanis died later that day while being transferred from the QEH to a hospital in Cambridge.

Police accident investigator Wendy Frary said there was no evidence that Ionela had been wearing a seatbelt, however it was unlikely that the wearing of one would have altered the outcome.

There was also no evidence that Yanis had been restrained, with no child seat or child restraint system in place.

She concluded: “Had the child been seated in a child restraint system the outcome may have been different.”

Post mortems found both Yanis and his mother died from multiple injuries consistent with a road traffic collision.

Mrs Lake said Mr Parvu had been drinking heavily and was above the legal limit for driving.

She concluded that both deaths had been due to a road traffic collision.

Mrs Lake said: “Both deaths are very tragic. They were both very young at the time of their deaths and it would appear from the evidence that they were both avoidable deaths.”