Tributes paid to son who died at Fincham farm

Police at Larchwood Foods Limited just outside of Fincham ANL-140907-144655009
Police at Larchwood Foods Limited just outside of Fincham ANL-140907-144655009
Have your say

Tributes have been paid to the student who died after falling into a grain silo on his father’s farm.

Arthur Mason, 22, was killed on Wednesday last week while working at the Larchwood Foods Hall Farm in, Swaffham Road, Fincham, which is owned by his father Hugh Mason.

People who knew Arthur have paid tribute to the “lovely lad” and have sent condolences to his father and younger siblings, Harold and Edith.

Phil and Sue Hirst, who manage the Berney Arms in Barton Bendish, have known Arthur since 2005.

Mrs Hirst said: “He was a lovely lad who was so polite and friendly.

“He was a really nice lad who will be seriously missed. We would like to extend our condolences to Hugh, Harold and Edith.”

Tribute has also been paid by William Chapman, from WR Chapman in Eastmoor.

Mr Chapman knew Arthur as a child while working for Mr Mason. He said: “He was a lovely lad to be around.”

Arthur was studying history at the University of Gloucestershire, in Cheltenham, but had attended Langley School in Loddon, between 2007 and 2010.

A statement from the school said: “Arthur was one of the best-liked, good-natured and good-humoured members of his year.

“From dressing up in chainmail to ushering prospective parents into the history department at an open morning, to his rendition of ‘Lola’ with Spencer Hart for the form album, to his obsession with James Bond themes, he will be fondly remembered and even more sadly missed.

“He visited the school very recently and a number of staff were able to catch up with him.

“It’s with great sadness and a sense of disbelief that we have to accept that we will not see him again. Our best wishes, thoughts and condolences go to his family at this devastating time.”

Fincham Parish Council chairman Stewart Waterston has also sent condolences to the family.

He said: “It is a great shock. The Mason family has been associated with Fincham for 100 years.”

An inquest into Arthur’s death is due to be opened later this week.

Inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive are continuing to look into the incident.

Emergency services were called to the farm at 11.05am on Wednesday. Mr Mason was pronounced dead at the scene.