Turnstone, by John Maiden, January 26, 2016

Co Blue Lagoon
Co Blue Lagoon

Last Tuesday’s Lynn News included a very helpful letter from Anthony Lynn explaining the function of the wooden groynes in protecting the south promenade.

He suggested the borough council should have a programme in place for their repair and maintenance. Perhaps more thought could also be given to protecting the town’s iconic cliffs with similar structures. Let’s face it, if a certain repairing covenant had been enforced by the council we would still be able to look at the cliffs from the pier head!

In the aftermath of the 1953 floods, extending the north promenade as far as Old Hunstanton was ruled out because it would have cost too much. It is unlikely to happen now because of environmental regulations and the status of the cliffs as a Site of Special Scientific Interest. The coast is also internationally important as part of The Wash & North Norfolk European Marine Site. This fact should be taken 
into account by proponents of a marine lake before they 
seek money for a feasibility study.

On the same page Dick Melton shared his memories of properties on Beach Terrace Road. He thought flats should be built there and on the Kit Kat site, for which planning permission was obtained in recent times. Dick is not alone in suggesting it 
was a waste of money to 
spend £300k on the Seagate ‘piazza’ scheme. It would certainly have made more sense if the borough council had put 
in a bid for the Kit Kat site, which sold at action for 
£218k.

On January 5, Turnstone included an aerial view of this area in its heyday, but today’s illustrations bring back memories of many happy hours spent in the open air swimming pool when Beach House was headquarters for the Seagulls Swimming Club. One photograph shows Beach House garden area overlooking the diving basin, with the railway footbridge in the background. The other one shows terraced cottages at the opposite end, with wooden slides in the foreground offering an alternative method of entering the water when it came to taking the plunge. Is it perhaps a sign of the times when the borough council sells off part of a car park for a new pub, and then shows more interest in a marine lake than in reinstating a fantastic art deco lido on the site it occupied from 1928 until its destruction by Hunstanton UDC in 1967?