RSPB 'always looking for new friends' to join the team
The Titchwell Tick List column from Tuesday Lynn News October 2, 2019, by Lucy Ferrar
The RSPB couldn’t do all we do for nature without our volunteers.
Last year, they gave an incredible 1,032,181 hours of their time to the charity – that is more than one million hours spent helping to make a positive difference to our environment.
Our volunteers at RSPB Titchwell Marsh and Snettisham help in lots of different ways: from monitoring marsh harrier breeding numbers to opening children’s eyes to the wonders of wildlife, the opportunities are as diverse as our volunteers themselves: We have retirees, college work experience and weekend hobbyists who use volunteering as a chance to clear their heads and get back into nature.
For those kick-starting their career in conservation, we also take on interns who learn key reserve management and habitat monitoring skills at a ‘grass roots’ level.
In return, our volunteers are not only personally rewarded from the work that they provide, but we also ensure that we have regular team get-togethers and lots of fun and some the opportunity to either learn something new or contribute life-learnt skills.
We are always looking for new friends to join our team and at the moment we’re particularly looking for friendly, approachable and enthusiastic individuals to engage with our visitors across the reserve – in the Visitor Centre and/or out in the hides.
Being a key tourist location right on the coast, we interact with a diverse range of visitors.
The roles we require are:
- Hide Helper: For those with good bird identification skills and happy to explain this to visitors in our hides.
- Family Activities Assistant: Wildlife knowledge welcomed but not essential. This role is about being the friendly face of Titchwell to children and families and supporting with activities on the reserve.
- Marketing Assistant: Computer literacy essential and some knowledge of social media is useful.
- Café Assistant: To help bake and serve scones and other tasty treats in our café.
- Gardener: To keep on top of the weeds in our Wildlife Garden.
If you think that you might like to be part of our friendly team, pop into RSPB Titchwell Marsh, or drop us an email at email@example.com.
More by this authorLynn News Reporter