That's Entertainment, by Andy Tyler, September 7, 2018
I’m fully aware Autumn is almost upon us as three new season brochures for Westacre Theatre, The King’s Lynn Festival and King’s Lynn Corn Exchange dropped through my letterbox last week and what a rich feast of entertainment is coming our way if these publications are to be believed! Watch this space for details.
- Heritage Open Day, incorporating Classic Car Day, is, of course, not to be missed on Sunday, September 16, between 10am and 4pm, and the town will, no doubt, be buzzing with enthusiastic visitors of all ages. Booklets will be available and details are online.
- There is so much going on locally I will have to concentrate on those events in the coming weeks but I must once again recommend a visit, during the summer months, to The BBC Proms. I was able to enjoy hearing live The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra at The Royal Albert Hall recently for just £6.
- There’s to be a Last Night of The Proms not in London this time but at St. Botolph’s Church, Gayton Road, Lynn on the evening of Saturday, September 22 starting at 7.30pm. Music will be provided by Bilton Silver (Rugby) Band. Tickets are £10 (including drink), contact 01553 674286.
- I’ve been contacted by Lynn Library giving me information about two exciting events being held soon. Celebrating 100 years of Women’s Suffrage comes Suffragette Stories at the Library on Saturday, September 22 between 10am and 1pm. You are needed if aged between 11 and 18 or over 50 to take part in the Library’s International Heritage Project exploring the legacy of the Suffragettes in Norfolk. For all the details speak to a member of staff and to sign up also. Booking in advance is required.
- The Library is also holding a Business Start-Up Day on Thursday, September 20 between 11am and 2pm. Advice will be given on how to turn brilliant ideas into a business! Free talks and advice sessions will be held and social media and pay per click support given. It’s a free drop-in event, apparently, and no booking is necessary. Call 01553 772568 for all the details. You may also wish to borrow a book!
- More music on offer now. The Greyfriars Art Space is presenting a musical fundraising event for the Gallery with live music provided by Daisy’s Cat, Wolfswood, and Anto Morra on the evening of Friday, September 14 at The Methodist Church Hall, County Court Road, Lynn PE30 5EJ starting at 7.30pm. Admission is £5. Please bring your own soft drinks as alcohol is not permitted.
- Do you have a favourite novel? If so why not come along to Waterstones Book Group between 4 and 5pm on the afternoon of Wednesday, October 10 at the Lynn branch and share with others why you are enthusiastic about it? Tea, coffee and biscuits will be provided.
- Lynn’s new Poetry Group meets at The Friends Meeting House, Bridge Street on the afternoon of Saturday October, 6 between 2 and 4pm. Reflection is the theme and light refreshments are available. There is a modest entrance fee.
- This weekend The Sandringham Game and Country Fair is held. Opening times are between 10am and 6pm. There are four main show arenas and plenty going on to keep the whole family entertained. For details visit the show’s website or phone: 01283 820548.
- Lastly, no doubt I’ll be filling you in on our local shows and pantos but I will sign off this week by giving you notice that The Lavender Hill Mob Theatre Company will be Presenting: A Christmas Story in November – not to be missed!