Anniversary for King's Lynn Rotary Club
On 24 September, 1926, the Rotary Club of King’s Lynn received its Charter from Rotary International.
The previous year, on 12 November 1925, a meeting had been held at the Globe Hotel ‘with the object of forming a Rotary Club.’
After a general discussion it was agreed that a club would be formed and the fourteen gentlemen present at the meeting indicated their willingness to become founder members.
They were all well-known members of the local community and included JH Catleugh, later three times mayor of Lynn, and CJL Wagstaff, the headmaster of the Grammar School. The first president was a solicitor, AG Hawkins.
Ninety-five years on, the club is still thriving and in the last Rotary year (2020-21) donated more than £35,000 to local, national and international charities or good causes. The largest amount – more than £25,000 – was spent on the purchase of 121 laptop computers which were given to 20 local primary schools to support home learning.
Although the club was not able to hold its annual Christmas Party for Young Carers, it did provide the children with Christmas presents and later in the year with Easter Eggs.
In addition some 300 Illustrated Dictionaries were provided for Year 5 children in local primary schools, part of an annual programme supported by the three Rotary Clubs in Lynn. The past year was not an easy one for raising money but two golf days were held which made it possible for the club to support more than 20 charities and good causes.
The Rotary Club of King’s Lynn is always looking to recruit new members - women and men who would like to make a difference for those less fortunate than themselves- and anyone interested should contact us through our website. The club meets on Monday evenings at the Stuart House Hotel.