Home   News   Article

Arrests made as police shut down illegal rave in Thetford Forest

Police say they have shut down an illegal rave in Thetford Forest , although a large number of people are still on the site.

Several arrests have been made, although details have not yet been disclosed, and officers are still at the scene tonight, trying to disperse those who still remain.

Senior officers have also reported that bottles and cans were thrown as crews entered the site, though no personnel were hurt.

Crime news (37115662)
Crime news (37115662)

More than 500 people are estimated to have attended the unlicensed event close to the Grimes Graves English Heritage site, between Weeting and Lynwood.

A statement issued by Norfolk Police a short time ago, said music on the site was finally switched off at around 6.30pm this evening.

Officers were first alerted to the gathering by a member of the public, who saw a large number of cars in the area, late last night.

Assistant chief constable Nick Davison said this evening that investigations were continuing in a bid to identify the organisers of the gathering, which took place on the first weekend that new laws imposing a maximum £10,000 fine on the organisers of such events, and £100 penalties on those who attend them, came into force.

He said specialist crews and equipment were needed to break up the gathering and thanked local residents for their patience while work to halt the proceedings took place.

He said: "We know these events cause disruption which is why we’ve taken positive action to make sure the event didn’t go on into a second night.

"Due to the nature of the location and numbers of people in attendance, this was a challenging event to disrupt and required mutual aid from other forces which takes time to arrange.

"Officers did meet some hostility when entering the site with bottles and cans used as missiles and thrown at officers. Fortunately, no one was injured.

"It’s extremely disappointing to see these types of events taking place when coronavirus continues to be a real threat to our communities.

"We’re working to identify the organisers and will do everything within our power, where evidence is available, to prosecute and bring them to justice.”

The incident came on the first weekend that new laws allowing a maximum £10,000 fine for the organisers of unlicensed events, and £100 penalties for those who attend, were in force.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More