Home   News   Article

BREAKING NEWS: Duke of Edinburgh gives up driving licence after Sandringham crash




The Duke of Edinburgh has given up his driving licence following his involvement in a road crash in West Norfolk last month, officials have announced.

The Duke of Edinburgh has given up his driving licence, Buckingham Palace officials have announced
The Duke of Edinburgh has given up his driving licence, Buckingham Palace officials have announced

The move comes little more than three weeks after a woman was injured when the Duke's Land Rover was in collision with another vehicle on the A149 near Babingley.

In a brief statement, Buckingham Palace said: "After careful consideration, the Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving licence."

Meanwhile, Norfolk Police said the Duke surrendered his licence to officers on Saturday.

The force added: "We will follow the standard procedure and return the licence to the DVLA.

"The investigation file for the collision has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service for their consideration."

The incident on January 17 raised questions about whether Prince Philip, who is 97 and retired from royal duties in 2017, should still have been driving.

Aftermath of crash at Sandringham, involving Prince Philip. Photo: KL.FM (6625024)
Aftermath of crash at Sandringham, involving Prince Philip. Photo: KL.FM (6625024)

Further controversy followed when photographs showing the Duke driving without wearing a seatbelt were released. Police confirmed they did speak to him about the matter.

And the Duke was also criticised for being slow to apologise to the other parties involved in the crash.

Emma Fairweather, who was injured in last month's crash, has welcomed his decision, but suggested it should have been made earlier.

She told the Sunday Mirror she has now undergone surgery to insert a metal plate into her arm, having suffered a broken wrist in the crash.

She said: “He’s making the most sensible decision he can.

"It’s a shame he didn’t make it a bit sooner but it’s the right thing to do.

“Undoubtedly the roads will be safer now. It won’t have been easy for him to make as it is a loss of independence. But he can work around it.”

The day after the incident, a Norfolk County Council committee approved plans to cut the speed limit on the A149 between Lynn and Snettisham, the section which includes the crash site, from 60 to 50 miles per hour.

Average speed cameras are also set to be installed under the plans, which had been published prior to the incident.

The announcement comes as the Queen nears the end of her traditional Christmas and new year stay on the Sandringham estate.



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More