Tomorrow’s scheduled strike by junior doctors has been called off this evening after an agreement was struck during talks at the conciliation service Acas.
Lynn’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital was among almost almost 100 where pickets were due to be staged during the 24 hour stoppage.
But the industrial action, which had included two further strike days on December 8 and 16, has now been suspended until January.
Earlier, hospital managers said four outpatient clinics had been cancelled in order to support care on the hospital’s wards, though they insisted all other planned work, including emergency care, would continue as usual..
Chief executive Dorothy Hosein said today: “As always our primary commitment has to be to the welfare of patients and the priority during our contingency planning has been to ensure their safety and continued care.
“It is our expectation that the hospital will operate as close to normal as possible tomorrow.”
The suspension is intended to allow further talks to take place at Acas in a bid to find a permanent solution to the dispute over proposed changes to junior hours’ contracts.
Supporters of the action claim that NHS pay has fallen by 10 per cent in real terms since 2008.
Rehana Azam, of the GMB union, said earlier: “These cuts in pay have already led to staff shortages in the ambulance service and things will only get worse.
“That is why we need to get behind the junior doctors in this dispute.”