BREAKING NEWS: Prince Philip will not be charged over Sandringham crash
The Duke of Edinburgh will not face charges over a crash he was involved in near Sandringham last month.
The decision was announced by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) a short time ago.
Police confirmed at the weekend that a file on the incident had been passed to prosecutors.
That came after Buckingham Palace officials announced Prince Philip, 97, had voluntarily surrendered his driving licence to officers on Saturday.
In a statement, Chris Long, the Chief Crown Prosecutor for the East of England, said: “The CPS has carefully reviewed material submitted by the police in relation to a traffic collision on the A149 on 17 January this year.
“We took into account all of the circumstances in this case, including the level of culpability, the age of the driver and the surrender of the driving licence.
“We have decided that it would not be in the public interest to prosecute. All those involved in the collision have been informed and provided with a full explanation in writing."
The CPS says decisions on whether to prosecute have to take into account both the available evidence and whether such action would be proportionate.