Home   News   Article

Hunstanton care home resident had tested positive for coronavirus before death, inquest hears

More news, no ads


A care home resident was found to have an infected facial tumor wound, and tested positive for Covid-19 before his death, an inquest has heard.

David Lefever, 77, died on June 25 at the Norfolk Lodge care home in Hunstanton having moved to the King's Lynn Road site from Oak Manor Nursing Home in May.

He tested positive for Covid-19 on June 8 but the inquest heard it was difficult to ascertain where exactly this had been transmitted from, and that the spread has since been contained thanks to "the hard work of staff".

An inquest into the death of David Lefever took place this afternoon (Wednesday, November 25)
An inquest into the death of David Lefever took place this afternoon (Wednesday, November 25)

But a statement was read out by Mr Lefever's son Paul who believed there had been issues of neglect with his father at the home.

He wrote about "inadequate Covid-19 procedures leading to infection" and claimed staff failed to administer pain relief for Mr Lefever.

The court heard Mr Lefever had maggots in a facial tumor wound with his son noticing the window was wide open in his room on June 22 despite apparent instructions to keep it closed.

He also felt there had been a communication issue between his father and staff at the home.

Mr Lefever went on to say his father was unable to walk unaided and had developed bedsores since he had been at the home.

The inquest heard from senior mental health practitioner Rebecca Flatters how Mr Lefever had been receiving section 117 aftercare and had been agitated and restless while residing at the home, which had resulted in him being aggressive to staff at times.

And GP Dr Ian Jennings had said Mr Lefever should not have been on end-of-life care due to testing positive for Covid-19.

Mr Lefever's health deteriorated rapidly from June 16 with the care home regularly keeping in contact with the GP during this period before his death.

A post-mortem report stated the medical cause of death was bronchopneumonia with other factors such as Covid-19, a facial tumour and Type 2 diabetes contributing.

Senior coroner Jacqueline Lake adjourned the hearing until Friday to consider the evidence and record her summary and conclusion.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More