Castle Acre Swifts’ wings clipped in Floodsense final

Sport news from the Lynn News,, @lynnnewssport on Twitter
Sport news from the Lynn News,, @lynnnewssport on Twitter
Have your say

Former Fakenham Town manager Wayne Anderson believes that the Crown Fire Central & South Norfolk League (CSNL) is a great example of what football is all about and is encouraging local football fans to turn out in their numbers to support our local sides.

The league kicked off their annual end of season cup finals on Wednesday night, at Dereham Town FC. West Norfolk side Castle Acre Swifts faced Yaxham in the Floodsense Junior League Cup.

Before kick off, Anderson told the Lynn News that he hopes more people turn out to support their local side.

He said: “The CSNL is really what football is all about, it is very enjoyable to watch and there is always a great atmosphere at the finals and I would encourage anyone to go along and support our Non-League sides who had done a great job to get to a final.

“I come to the finals for several reasons, firstly because it gives me a chance to scout the best of the talent from within local football and also because it is great to meet up with old football friends.

“It’s sad that a lot of clubs, especially village teams, have fallen by the wayside in recent years but it’s great to see that it is still so important for so many people and I would encourage anyone to get involved.”

Castle Acre went into the match sitting top of the Division One table, having already completed a league double over Yaxham, who sit second.

Despite their league position Acre started slowly, with Yaxham enjoying the lion’s share of the possession in the early stages.

Yaxham were unable to make a breakthrough as they lacked a killer finish. As a result several periods of neat build up play around the Swifts penalty area came and went with the score line unchanged.

However, six minutes from the break Acre punished Yaxham for failing to take advantage of their good start. Daniel King curled his effort past Sam Davidson and into the back of the net from a testing angle on the left flank.

Both sides picked up were they left off second half, with Yaxham seeing the majority of the ball. but still struggling to make their pressure tell.

Castle Acre remained dangerous on the break, as they looked to kill the game off by extending their lead.

Yaxham after 66 minutes finally pulled level from close range.

The equaliser gave Yaxham a new burst of confidence and with tired legs setting in, extra time and penalties loomed.

However, just 10 minutes after equalising Yaxham turned the tables on Acre, at a corner. The ball was curled into the bottom right corner of Jamie Butters’ net, after Joe Whitty was allowed time and space on the edge of the area.

Castle Acre responded well and looked for a way back into the game in the closing stages, but at the final whistle it was a deserved win for Yaxham in a great advert for the league.

The final is just one of eight with Stoke Ferry taking on Tacolneston at Aldiss Park, Dereham next Wednesday, kick off 7.45pm.