Coronavirus: Norfolk health chief warns cases rising and pleads for public to follow the rules
Public health chiefs in Norfolk have renewed their appeals for people the rules relating to coronavirus following a rise in cases.
Although officials say they are particularly concerned about the increasing level of cases in the Yarmouth area, latest data shows infections have risen across the county as a whole.
And a media briefing today was told that almost 30 schools in the county have so far seen cases of Covid-19.
Dr Louise Smith, the county's director of public health, said: "We need to keep washing our hands, keeping our distance from others, following the rule of six and covering our face when this is required.
"It is absolutely crucial to stay at home if you have symptoms and only leave to get a test – support is available if you cannot access food or medical supplies.
“Now is the time to act together to protect ourselves and protect others."
Latest data, for the week ending September 27, showed there were 14 coronavirus cases per 100,000 people in Norfolk as a whole, up from 12 per 100,000 the previous week.
In West Norfolk, there were 17 new cases in the seven days up to Wednesday of this week, taking the overall total to 927 since the outbreak began.
But there have been 49 cases per 100,000 in the Yarmouth borough in the week to September 27, compared with 25 per 100,000 in the previous week.
Although some cases have been linked to an outbreak at a Bernard Matthews facility, there are concerns the disease may be being transmitted in the wider community as well.
However, Dr Smith stressed that overall case levels remain well below the national average of 58 infections per 100,000 people.
She also revealed that 27 schools across Norfolk have either reported confirmed or suspected cases. Positive tests have been confirmed this week at the Springwood High School in Lynn and the Snettisham Primary School .
But she praised the education sector as a whole for the efforts it had made to combat the virus, saying they were "really working" to limit the spread.
She also confirmed the council is helping with coronavirus-related incidents at 28 care homes in the county, of which half are classed as small outbreaks, with two or fewer cases.