Home   News   Article

Coronavirus: Two new cases confirmed at King's Lynn school




Two new coronavirus cases at a Lynn secondary school, involving a student and a staff member, have been confirmed today.

The announcement from the Springwood High School takes the total number of cases recorded at the Queensway site since the start of the new academic year to five.

But officials believe it is "highly unlikely" the new cases are linked to the three recorded there previously, because of the time gaps between them.

Springwood High School in King's Lynn.. (40907947)
Springwood High School in King's Lynn.. (40907947)

In a statement released a short time ago, the school said 25 students and four other members of staff were advised to isolate until this Thursday, November 5, during last week's half-term holiday.

The latest positive cases involve a sixth form student and a member of staff.

Executive headteacher Andy Johnson said: "The children and staff who had been in close contact with the individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 have been asked to stay at home.

"But the rest of the school has opened after half term as planned and all our other students should continue to attend as normal if they remain well."

"It's important to add that after our previous confirmed cases there have been no confirmed cases from those told to isolate at home.

"We are continuing to monitor the situation and will continue to work closely with Public Health England."

The news comes after four other West Norfolk schools – the King Edward VII Academy, the King's Lynn Academy and Greyfriars Academy in Lynn, plus the St Clements High School in Terrington St Clement – all confirmed positive tests last week.

Teaching unions and some politicians have called for schools to be closed as part of the lockdown which is due to come into force on Thursday, though ministers are resisting the idea.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More