Home   News   Article

Council approves caravan enforcement action near West Norfolk beach




A caravan which was left dumped next to a West Norfolk beach, will be removed by the borough council – at the taxpayer’s expense.

The owner of the wooden mobile home on Heacham North Beach has been given several years to remove it, with West Norfolk Council finally deciding enough was enough.

At a planning committee meeting on Monday, council officers said they first left an enforcement notice at the site in 2019.

Planning applications (6482791)
Planning applications (6482791)

It said the caravan had been left in “an unduly prominent position harming the character and appearance of the countryside”.

No appeal was made against the notice, so it came into effect two months later.

Council officer Stuart Ashworth said they had received late correspondence from the owner ahead, asking for the decision to be deferred.

The owner, who was left unnamed, claimed he would go to the ombudsman if removal were agreed.

Mr Ashworth said: “He says he doesn’t have access to the library and he doesn’t have access to electronic means of communication, that means he can’t address the committee and feels he has been prejudiced by that.

“He disagrees with the validity of the enforcement notice, but there was no appeal served against it. The owner has had two years to remove the caravan and he hasn’t done so.”

Late reports also revealed that an application for a certificate of lawful use for development in 2019 was rejected by the council.

Labour councillor Charles Joyce said he would have liked to have talked to the owner of the caravan, but said he had time to move it in the two years.

A report to the council, published ahead of the meeting, gave a quote of £930 plus VAT for removing the vehicle, along with £10 a day for storage.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More