CLA East issue warning to West Norfolk farmers and landowners about potential raves ahead of bank holiday weekend

No Caption ABCDE EMN-150528-123510001
No Caption ABCDE EMN-150528-123510001
Share this article
Have your say

Farmers and landowners across West Norfolk are being urged to be on the lookout for any signs of raves being organised on their land over the forthcoming bank holiday weekend.

CLA East’s warning follows on from a similar one issued by Norfolk police, as reported in the Lynn News yesterday. Police chiefs have warned that they will prosecute the organisers of unlicensed music events and seize sound equipment as part of their continuing zero tolerance approach to the issue.

CLA is advising its members to reduce the risk of any illegal activity occurring in empty and remote buildings by ensuring they are secure and regularly monitored; that access to land is restricted wherever possible by the use of locked gates; that any unusual activity around buildings or land is reported to the police; and to ensure any employees are made aware of the need to report any unusual activity.

Suspicious activity around open land or disused buildings should be reported to the police. This includes any information that an illegal rave is taking place, any sightings of vans, lorries or large numbers of vehicles gathering near woods, rural car parks or near to disused buildings, sightings of fliers advertising raves and broken padlocks on access gates to areas where a rave may take place.

CLA East regional director Ben Underwood said: “Illegal raves cause a great deal of disruption to local communities, with the resulting mess causing considerable harm to both wildlife and the environment.

“These illegal gatherings can also create unnecessary problems for landowners, who could fall victim to considerable clean-up costs and expensive repairs to outbuildings.

“We urge farmers and landowners to help the police by reporting any suspicious activity, as early intervention and good local intelligence can prevent these illegal events from taking place.”

Police should be contacted on the non-emergency number of 101.