Dersingham drink-driver who smashed through wall disqualified

Scene of a car which collided with a garden wall in South Wootton. Photo: King's Lynn Police.
Scene of a car which collided with a garden wall in South Wootton. Photo: King's Lynn Police.
Share this article

A 21-year-old man from Dersingham has admitted a drink-driving episode which led to the destruction of a garden wall last month.

Oliver Bell, of Manor Road, pleaded guilty to the charge at a hearing on Monday, where the court heard he crashed into the wall on Grimston Road, South Wootton, in the early hours of February 6.

Fergus Harold, prosecuting, said the police had been alerted to the collision at 4.30am.

“Officers found a Volkswagen Polo had collided with the front wall causing substantial damage. The driver – the defendant – was breath-tested at the roadside, and was found to be over the limit,” he said.

The court heard that he was arrested at 4.50am and taken to the police investigation centre in Saddlebow, where he was found to have 49 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millimetres of breath, which is above the legal limit of 35.

Mr Harold said that in interview, Bell said he had just finished a staff party in Lynn.

The court heard that he had gone to a friend’s house after the party, and when he left, he thought he was sober enough to drive.

Mr Harold said the defendant was having an argument with his girlfriend which resulted in her grabbing the steering wheel causing him to go through the wall.

The court was told that Bell said he did not drink very often, and “felt ashamed of his actions”.

George Sorrell, mitigating, said: “He was with a group of friends at the hotel where he works part time. Somebody asked him to drive him to Lynn afterwards, which he should not have done, and he accepts his responsibility.

“It was in the early hours, so thankfully no one was likely to be around.”

Magistrates disqualified Bell from driving for 14 months, but offered him the chance to undertake a rehabilitation course to reduce it by 14 weeks, which he accepted.

He was ordered to pay a £120 fine, £40 in costs and a £30 victim surcharge.