Home   News   Article

Drink-driver caught after being sent home from haulage firm, King's Lynn court told

More news, no ads


A worker at a haulage firm was caught drink-driving soon after being sent home for failing an alcohol test.

Darius Videika, 47, was pulled over by police in Pullover Road, Tilney All Saints, following a tip-off by the company.

Prosecutor Jessica Pratt-Vivian told Lynn magistrates on Thursday: “Knowles Transport called police saying that one of their drivers had been breath-tested by them and blew 82 [the legal limit being 35].

King's Lynn Magistrates Court (54417693)
King's Lynn Magistrates Court (54417693)

“He had then left and was driving.”

Videika, of Earsham Drive, Reffley, blew 71 micrograms in 100 millilitres at the roadside and 64 in custody.

He pleaded guilty to drink-driving on February 21.

The court was told that the defendant had a previous excess alcohol conviction in 2018.

Solicitor Ruth Johnson, mitigating, said: “It’s right that the agency dealt with this gentleman by way of a test and whilst it had been arranged for him to be taken by taxi, the taxi refused to take him home.”

Miss Johnson said Videika tried to get a lift by other means but that failed.

“Therefore, he made the foolish decision to take the keys and drive home,” the solicitor added.

The court was told that, after his first conviction, the defendant had paid for a drink-driver rehabilitation course and attended the first day but was unable to continue due to not having an interpreter with him.

Miss Johnson said: “He missed out on that opportunity in 2018 and recognises the benefit that would have had, not just the reduction in disqualification but also the education.”

She said he was in a relatively new role as a forklift driver about ten miles from home and would now be looking for work closer to Lynn.

“He’s been incredibly contrite and apologetic and is clearly remorseful,” she added.

Videika was given a three-year ban, which can be cut with completion of a drink-driver rehabilitation course.

He was also fined £250 and ordered to pay £105 costs plus a £34 victim surcharge.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More