Home   News   Article

Drink-driver misses opportunity to avoid ban


By Lynn News Reporter


A Gayton motorist who claimed he should not be disqualified after drink-driving failed to attend the court hearing to plead his case.

Anil Capar was convicted on March 4 but hoped to avoid a ban on the grounds of the special reason of shortness of distance driven – said to have been just “two to three feet”. Sentencing at Lynn Magistrates’ Court was adjourned until today to enable the 23-year-old to present CCTV footage and witnesses.

The hearing was told that Capar, of Lynn Road, drove an Audi A3 on Albert Street in Lynn on February 17. He later blew 57 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath; the legal limit being 35.

At the March hearing, defence solicitor Rob New said CCTV footage shows Capar getting into the car. The handbrake had been released and the vehicle had “rolled two or three feet”. Mr New added Capar is then seen to get out.

Capar was disqualified from driving for 16 months, fined £440 and ordered to pay £85 costs and £44 victim surcharge.

As he was not present, magistrates were unable to offer him a drink-drivers’ rehabilitation course, successful completion of which would have cut the ban by 25 per cent.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More