Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Fakenham drink-driver swerved into opposite side of the road after getting distracted by radio

A drink-driver swerved to the opposite side of the road and crashed into another driver – causing damage to both vehicles.

Tyler Williamson, 26, of Highfield Road in Fakenham, appeared at Lynn Magistrates’ Court on Thursday where he admitted to driving above the specified alcohol limit.

Prosecutor Holly Postle outlined the events to magistrates and said that on December 22 at 10.30pm, police were called to a crash involving two cars on Clipbush Lane in Fakenham.

The crash happened on Clipbush Lane in Fakenham. Picture: Google Maps
The crash happened on Clipbush Lane in Fakenham. Picture: Google Maps

Williamson was the driver of one of the vehicles involved, and both vehicles involved in the crash were damaged.

Police could smell alcohol on Williamson and said that he was slurring his speech.

Those involved in the accident were taken to Lynn’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital to be checked over – including Williamson.

He was subsequently taken to Lynn’s Police Investigation Centre for questioning at 1am.

At this time, a roadside breath test was carried out on Williamson, which came back with a reading of 80mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath. The legal limit to drive is 35mcg.

“The driver of the other vehicle in the crash said that the defendant swerved to her side of the road and collided into them. The aggravating factor is there has been a crash,” said Ms Postle.

In mitigation, Andrew Cogan said that Williamson made full admissions to drink-driving in his police interview.

“He went to the Hungry Horse at 5pm for food, he also had four pints and walked back home to his address,” said Mr Cogan.

“When he got home, he had another beer and decided to go to get fuel from Morrisons in Fakenham. He got distracted by his radio and veered off.

“He checked to see if the people in the other car were okay. He didn’t know the legal limit to drive and thought he would be okay.”

The solicitor added: “He made full admissions in the interview, which speaks volumes about his remorse for what happened.”

For the offence, Williamson was disqualified from driving for 21 months.

He was also fined £553, and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £221 and court costs of £105.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More