Home   News   Article

West Norfolk Council plans to boost electric vehicle charging points availability



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


More electric vehicle charging points could be coming to West Norfolk Council car parks.

The borough is to apply for funding to improve electric vehicle (EV) charging provision for residents with no access to off-street parking.

Paul Kunes, cabinet member for the environment, said: “Following my successful motion for the borough council to declare of a climate emergency I’m keen to explore all possible avenues to make West Norfolk a greener place to live and work in.

"The grant funding being applied for could mean that fast 7KW chargers are installed across borough council-owned car parks. We have also recommended that town and parish councils look at whether they can apply for funding and implement EV chargers.”

Plug-in electric car. Picture: New AutoMotive
Plug-in electric car. Picture: New AutoMotive

The scheme is targeted towards car parks within close proximity to residential areas with limited access to off-street parking and is administered by the Office for Zero Emissions Vehicles (OZEV) and the Energy Saving Trust (EST).

Some 75 per cent towards the cost and installation of EV charge points could be provided. BP Pulse then provide the remaining 25 per cent of the cost and maintenance for seven years.

If the grant application is accepted more than 20 new EV chargers will be installed in borough council-owned car parks next year.

Additionally, the borough council is looking to replace its current rapid EV charging points, situated in Hunstanton and outside St James’s multi storey in Lynn, with new rapid charge points, as part of a separate project with BP Pulse.

With the recent queues at filling station forecourts, now seems to be the optimum time to go electric. See our latest report on how to go greener.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More