End of Covid restrictions set to restart West Norfolk food waste collection service
Food waste collections in West Norfolk are set to resume next week – if the remaining coronavirus restrictions are lifted as planned.
The service has been suspended since April last year because of the crisis and the continuing social distancing requirement has prevented borough council leaders from reinstating the programme until now.
But last week’s announcement that the remaining restrictions would be lifted from July 19 – subject to a data review today – raised hopes of a swift resumption.
And, speaking during Thursday’s borough council meeting, environment portfolio holder Paul Kunes said: “I’m delighted to say food waste collections will be resuming from July 19 throughout the borough. We’re really pleased to announce that’s going ahead.”
The announcement came in response to a question from one of his predecessors in the role, Ian Devereux.
He said: “Food waste collection is sorely needed and will have a big impact on reducing CO2 emissions.
“I wonder if the comments by the Prime Minister gives us hope we will get food waste collections back sooner than indicated in his report.”
Mr Kunes had written that the authority was hoping to resume the collections from July 19, after plans to restart the service in June had to be halted when the plan to move to step four of the government’s roadmap for easing lockdown was delayed.
The meeting was also told that a major promotional campaign will be undertaken in the next few days to encourage to start using their food caddies, the small bins from which the waste is collected each week, once again.
Mr Kunes added that there were hundreds of caddies available for residents to order a new one if they had either lost theirs or disposed of it during the service suspension.