Ex-pub in Snettisham set to be Co-op store

The former Compasses pub in Snettisham ANL-160316-120419001
The former Compasses pub in Snettisham ANL-160316-120419001
Share this article

Renovation work on the derelict Compasses pub in Snettisham, has begun in order to make way for a brand new convenience store in the area,

The pub has been closed since it was the scene of the murder of landlady Becky Thorpe in 2010 at the hands of her partner, Michael Tucker.

The site on Lynn Road is being turned into a Co-op.

Planning permission for the site was granted last year, following a deal brokered by property consultants, Bruton Knowles.

Stuart Hastings, of Bruton Knowles, said: “We are delighted to have had the opportunity to work closely with the Co-operative stores and to bring a great new convenience store offering to Snettisham village.

“Bruton Knowles acted as acquiring agents, identifying the former pub as a potential store location. The pub has been closed since 2010 and we are thrilled that the Co-operative picked this site for its new store in the area.”

No opening date has been set for the new 3,500sq ft store which will offer 10 parking spaces.

Mr Hastings said: “Having been vacant for almost six years, the retailer will be a much-welcomed addition for the residents and community of Snettisham, providing a selection of fresh produce and convenience items.

“The development also means that a run-down site will be tidied up and several jobs will be created in the area.

“Bruton Knowles has enjoyed developing a strong relationship with the Co-operative over the last few years, working together with the business and its partners to expand its offering across, East Anglia, Lincolnshire, the Midlands and Yorkshire

“The new store is a great location and investment for The Co-operative and we look forward to seeing the store when the building is completed. We wish them the best of luck in the new store.”

Tucker, 55, is serving a life sentence for the murder of the popular hockey playing Miss Thorpe, 26.

He shot her dead in the bath with a shotgun from behind and then concealed the body in the pub’s freezer in an outhouse for days before he fled to the Isle of Wight, where he was arrested.

He was sentenced to life imprisonment for the killing and told he must serve a minimum of 26 years in prison.