Grimston woman devastated after pet cat fatally shot

editorial image
Have your say

A Grimston woman has urged pet owners to remain vigilant after her cat was fatally shot in the stomach.

Amanda Fletcher, from Church Close in the village, was left devastated after her cat George had to be put down after being hit by a pellet.

Miss Fletcher said: “George was such a sociable and likeable cat. He liked to go walkabout but I never thought I’d get a call saying that he’d been shot.

“I’m just hoping it doesn’t happen to anyone else and I wanted to warn other people to be on their guard.

“One of my neighbours has had three cats go missing in the last few years but nothing like this has ever happened before.

“I’m hoping that nobody did it on purpose, but if anyone did see or hear anything to get in touch with the police or myself.

“He’d only just started to go outside again after having a bladder operation at christmas.”

Eight-year-old George was discovered by a concerned neighbour who rushed him to Mill House Veterinary Practice, in Lynn, after finding him yeowling in her garden..

Miss Fletcher, who was working at the time, said: “George was such a well-travelled cat. He used to wonder off to the other end of the village, go across the road for milk and he once ended up in King’s Lynn for a couple of weeks.

“He was such a character and was very well-known, but was liked by everyone. The whole street are going to miss him.”

Miss Fletcher reported the matter to both the police, who recorded the incident as 
criminal damage, and the RSPCA.

Norfolk Police confirmed that no further incidents had been reported in the area.

The ordeal has put Miss Fletcher off letting her other three cats Poppy, 4, Lilly, 4, and Squaky, 2, out of the house.

“I am in the process of buying some netting for the garden so they can’t get out and nobody else can get to them,” said Miss Fletcher.

“I’d like to thank everyone for their kind words and cards.

“I even received a card from London Road Veterinary Centre, where George had no end of trips to for different infections and his operation at Christmas.”