Happy New Year for Pentney mum as baby son breathes unaided

editorial image
Have your say

A mum has spoken of her joy after seeing her one-year-old son spend Christmas without needing oxygen to breath.

Jemma Jarvis, from Pentney, suffered from HELLP syndrome during pregnancy and, as a result, her son Logan Gotts was diagnosed with Chronic Lung Disease.

Logan, who was born 12 weeks early weighing just 1lb 15oz, was reliant on oxygen to keep him alive until five days before his first birthday last October.

Fourteen months after his ordeal, Logan is now a happy, thriving little boy.

Jemma said: “Logan has been reliant on oxygen to keep him alive over the past year.

“We have had two large oxygen cylinders delivered weekly and he’s had a nasal tube to feed the oxygen into his lungs.

“In October this year - five days before his first birthday – we were told we could finally take it off.

“I just sat there and cried when hey told me, because after all this time I could see my little boy’s beautiful face, without any tubes taped to it.”

Ms Jarvis praised the help and support of the Sick Children’s Trust, who have provided help and support to the family since Logan was born.

She said: “Logan is now a happy, thriving little boy and we couldn’t have done those first few weeks without the help of the Sick Children’s Trust.

“Having a free room to stay close to our little boy’s bedside helped us get to the place we are today.

“The staff and all the other families were so supportive and it’s great not to have to worry about the small things; we could focus on getting our little boy better.”

Reflecting on the early days of Logan’s illness, she said: “After Logan was born, we were both transferred to The Rosie Hospital at Addenbrooke’s in Cambridge.

“When we arrived at the hospital I was treated in a separate ward for 10 days.

“I wasn’t able to see him for the first two days because I was so poorly – all I could do was look at a picture.

“After I was discharged, my partner Luke Gotts and I were offered a room at Chestnut House – a Sick Children’s Trust ‘Home from Home’ located at the hospital.

“We were just minutes away from our poorly boy’s bedside and this made it so much easier for me to bond with Logan, especially as I had been unable to see or hold him for the first two days of his life.”

She added: “Logan’s a little fighter but that also got him into trouble.

“At just a few weeks old, he somehow managed to pull the medicine tubes out of his leg.

“This gave him an abscess and required an immediate operation.

“The rooms at Chestnut House have a phone which links directly to the ward so as soon as this happened, the nurses were able to contact us and we were by our little boy’s bedside in minutes – something which wouldn’t have been possible if we had been at home.”

Logan was discharged after two weeks and was transferred to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for eight weeks, but after returning home for last Christmas he tooka turn for the worse and he became very poorly.

“He was initially diagnosed with bronchitis, caused by a virus infecting his lungs.

“However, I knew there was something seriously wrong and within three hours of being back in the hospital he went into cardiac arrest.

“The issue was far more serious – it was a problem with his heart.

“Logan was transferred to the Royal Brompton Hospital for a specialist operation which thankfully went well.

“Not knowing what the outcome would be, we had him baptised whilst he was on a ventilator.

“When I saw my little boy going from being pink to so white, I was convinced I was going to lose him. But after his operation, he was like a different child.”