At the January meeting of the Hunstanton and District Civic Society, members were given an update on the proposed restoration for The Green.
While members supported the original concept, a proposal to replace the butterfly shelters with something of a similar shape, but made of metal and glass, was opposed.
It was felt the scheme should reflect the town’s heritage as a purpose-built sea-bathing resort, in line with Henry le Strange’s vision.
The shelters, erected in the 1960’s, did not blend in with anything else in the town, except perhaps the Northgate precinct or Smithdon High School.
Since it was the arrival of the railway in 1862 that really made the town prosperous, it was suggested that a design reminiscent of the railway age might be much more appropriate.
A butterfly design would stick out like a sore thumb and be quite contrary to the overall concept. It was agreed unanimously that chairman Andrew Murray should write to West Norfolk Council.
Mr Murray informed members of the situation with regard to various planning applications, which could result in a housing developments going ahead on four sites at the same time, when the original idea had been for the sites to be phased in over a longer period.